Friday 25 November 2022

Show season 2022 ended for me at the Old Variety Canary Association's northern show hosted by North of England Gloster Club at Bomersund, Northumberland on Sunday 13 November 2022. This year there were 165 old and rare varieties exhibited so while winning the individual prizes of Best Scots and Best Belgian was great, the winning of Best and Second Best Old Variety was more impressive for me. I was also delighted that my Scots Fancy won the prestigious John Scott President's Award rosette for best bird in a direct competition with the Lizard canaries present. 

Each of my winning Scots this year has been a different bird. While this shows a great consistency across the bloodline, it also demonstrates how fortunate Gordon Alexander has been in twice winning the Name the Bird competition which is awarded to the bird which wins Best in Show at three shows in one season.

The Belgian in particular has had a great season. He is the son of my World Champion bird. Last year he was second best old variety at this show and he won Best Belgian against competition at each of the four shows we have attended in 2022 and was in the running for best white canary at the National Exhibition in Stafford. Although he didn't win that title, it was quite incredible for me that he made he short-list.

This show is a very friendly one and I stewarded to the judge, Kevin McCallum, OMJ this year as he was helping to train me for judging a show I had been invited to judge in Northern Ireland the following weekend. 






The NI show was the inaugural show of the Ulster Old & Rare Canary Club and it was a real honour to be invited to judge that event. Best in Show went to a great Raza canary exhibited by Peter Sherlock and Best Scots was exhibited by David Ramsey. Best Junior Scots was awarded to Emma-Lee Ramsey. It was a small show but there are now firm steps on which to build.












No comments:

Post a Comment